Sunday, March 29, 2015

REVIEW -- Drawn

Drawn

***Content warning*** This is not your typical romance. This is an erotic thriller about an obsessive relationship between two people who struggle to maintain their control around each other. Its advised that readers be over 18 years of age before reading this novel due to sexual content and adult situations, including violence and abusive themes.

From the best-selling author of the Beautiful Series, comes Drawn, a powerful tale of a relationship that rides the edge of hate and love and everything in between. And a friendship, so strong and loving that it will wait through anything.

In the end, you as the reader will be asked to make a choice. Aaron, or Damien. Light, or dark. There are two endings to this story, and only YOU can decide.

Enter the world of Etta, in Drawn.

Have you ever felt so drawn to someone, that you will put up with anything to be with them? That’s how I feel when I’m around him.

Most of the time, I want to hate him. I want to stay as far away from him as possible. He’s so cocky, and arrogant. And he gets in the way and tells me what to do. He’s all things that I normally detest in a man. But, when we’re alone… I can’t even think for myself – the pull is that intense.

He's nothing like Aaron, a man who has been my closest friend for the last two years, and understood my struggles with an overbearing father who wouldn't let me out of his sight until I turned eighteen. A man who has waited for me...

But now I am eighteen, and a simple knock on a door will introduce me to a tortured soul named Damien, an artist, and a fighter, our ties run deeper than I could have imagined. This man will become my vice and knowing him will change my life forever.

I know I should run, I know I should stay away. But I can’t. I don’t know if I’m strong enough.

What do you do when you can’t stay away? Even when you know you should…
This is my first full-length book by Ms. Anderson and I LOVED it.

Henrietta, or Etta as she prefers to be known by, is eighteen and finally getting away from her father's controlling ways. After losing a son, Etta's father places tight reins on his daughter, to the point of not even being allowed to date as long as she lives under his roof.

So, when she turns eighteen, she makes plans to move out on her own, much to her father's chagrin. She makes plans to meet up with her best male friend, Aaron to go looking at apartments/places. By accident, she goes to the wrong apartment and meets Damien, the University's resident bad boy and womanizer.

Once Etta finds a room she likes, her father once again tries to stop her from having her own life. He finally relents and lets Etta be a normal eighteen year old, on one condition; she starts her martial arts training again with his prized student, Damien.

I have been in Etta's shoes before; I have fallen completely in love with a man that was not good for me. So, I knew exactly how Etta was feeling and what emotions she was going through when she realized she had fallen for Damien.

Three lines from the book jumped out at me, because I myself have experienced the emotions running through the scenes.
"You're a jealous little thing aren't you?" he asks.
"Have you seen you?" I retort, as if that should explain everything.
I liked this line, because I knew what Etta meant here. I'm convinced the man I equated Damien to (ironically, his name also began with a D, so let's call him D) did not understand how good looking he was and he never could understand why I would get so upset when other women would hit on him.
"I can't help it. Just looking at you turns me on."
I could really relate to this line, because that's how I felt while with D. All he had to do was look at me and smile, and I was ready to go to bed with him.
"There isn't a man in this world who turns my head like you do. I want you to want me -- nothing more."
I knew how Etta felt here, because this is all I ever wanted from D. I just wanted to be the only girl he ever wanted.
"We belong together, Etta. You're my everything. You're my life. You're the very reason I breathe." he whispers between kisses and thrusts.
I actually related to Damien here, because this is how I felt while with D. I totally wrapped myself up into D and I had 'tunnel vision' when it came to him; he was the only man I saw.

One thing that bothered me throughout the book is how controlling Damien becomes with Etta. It's one thing to want to make sure the one you love is safe and okay. It's a completely different scenario when your boyfriend starts switching SIM cards, forbidding you to see and hang out with friends that you have known since childhood and hiring a bodyguard to watch her when she's out her friends... especially after saying you trust her. That screams manipulative and borders on abuse.

Another thing that irked my in the book is how quick Damien was to return to his 'old ways' after a fight, after claiming he loved Etta and she was his world. At that point in the story, It was just coming off as if all Damien cared about was his libido and not whether he hurt Etta if or when she found out about it.

While I don't condone lying about a pregnancy or an abortion, I do understand why Etta did at the end of the book. It seemed to be her only way out from under Damien's control. She figured if she told him what she did, there would be no ties.

There IS an excerpt of Book 2 of the series, but I can't tell if it's the Redemption side or the Obsession side.

This book is available on Amazon for free.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Loved the book from beginning to end. Looking forward to reading more of this series and other works by Ms. Anderson.
STARS: 5/5
WOULD RECOMMEND: YES!

No comments:

Post a Comment