Monday, January 18, 2016

REVIEW - Xavier Cold

Xavier Cold
xaviercold-cover

SYNOPSIS
The conclusion to the New York Times bestselling romance that began in Phenomenal X, about one woman’s pulse-pounding relationship with a notorious bad-boy wrestler.

“What’ll it be, Anna Cortez? Are you in, or are you out?”

One momentary loss of control has now ruined everything Xavier Cold had going for himself. With his world unraveling fast, he’s willing to do anything to save not only his job but his relationship with the only woman he’s ever loved.

Anna Cortez, still reeling from shock, tries desperately to save the man that’s consumed her heart, body and soul. She’ll have to dig deep and find courage she never knew she possessed to help Xavier fight demons from his past—a past that’s even more haunted than she ever imagined.
**I RECEIVED THIS AS AN ARC IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW**

20 long months.

20 long months I waited for this book... AND I WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED ONE BIT!!!

We start out Xavier Cold with a slight recap of the ending of Phenomenal X, with Xavier being arrested for beating Rex 'Assassin' Risen WAY worse than the script called for, almost to the point of his death.

After being bailed out by Mr. Silverman, Xavier finds himself on the end of a suspension and a huge fine. To make things worse, Anna is forced to go on the road without Xavier. And just to rub salt into the wound, Tension is MAKING Anna 'team' with Rex and Deena... on Rex's 'request,' of course.

Last time I read Phenomenal X, I pictured Batista with Miz's smarmy attitude as Rex. This time, however, I'm pictured Austin Aries as Rex. And for some odd reason, I'm pictured Sunny (in her prime... Think her days with The Body Donnas) as Deena.

While Anna is on the road, Xavier is forced to face his demons... his grandmother's home. While dealing with the memories of what happened in the house, he also has to deal with his old gangbangers, Kai and Bishop, trying to sucker him back into the 'gang life.' The more Xaxier resists, the more insistent Bishop and his cronies get.

Not only does Xavier have to deal with the drama from Bishop and Kai, he still has to deal with Deena trying to cause trouble between Anna and himself.

While this book is good, I'm going to admit, I was a bit disappointed. I've seriously never seen SO much drama in a relationship than between Anna and Xavier. Xavier wants Anna, but he pushes her away whenever they get remotely close. Anna wants Xavier, but she basically tells him to go screw himself when he doesn't answer her, not even considering he may not be able to. Then you have Deena and Rex, trying to start the drama. Seriously, what relationship has THAT many issues? I don't think even Brad and Angelina had THAT much drama when they first dated!

That being said, I still LOVED this book. I was seriously scared to pick up the Kindle at one point. I was having such a bad feeling about this book... not that it's bad, because it's not, rather it felt like everything was working against Anna and Xavier. Rex continuously hitting on Anna, Deena snapping pictures of Anna in what could be construed as compromising situations, Xavier himself being caught with another woman in a bad predicament, Kai and his buddies taking Anna and beating Xavier... It just seemed like everything was going against them.

I will say that the last scene at Xavier's grandmother's home was a SHOCKER. I did NOT expect the police to find Xavier Sr.'s body in the burnt house. That was my HOLY SHIT moment of the book.

What I'm actually disappointed about is that this series is considered complete. I know there wasn't really anywhere else for Ms. Valentine to take the plot; Xavier and Anna got their happily ever after. But I just wish Ms. Valentine had left it open to maybe revisit them down the road.

I would ABSOLUTELY recommend this book.

This is available from Amazon as a pre-order for $3.99.

Add XAVIER COLD to Goodreads here!
Buy XAVIER COLD now (more links coming soon): Amazon
Missed PHENOMENAL X? Grab it now! Amazon | Barnes and Noble Kobo | iBooks

FINAL THOUGHTS
Nice ending to the series, but I can't help but feel let down in comparison to the first book.
STARS: 4.5/5
WOULD RECOMMEND: Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment